The lovely thing about Caprese is that it’s more of a method than a recipe…
Heirloom tomatoes, sliced about 1/4″ thick
Fresh basil leaves, torn or left whole
Kosher salt or sea salt
Fresh mozzarella or even better, burrata
Extra virgin olive oil
- Slice the tomatoes, lay them all out flat on a cutting board or cookie sheet, and season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the cheese, lay the slices out flat on another cutting board or cookie sheet, and season with salt and pepper.
- On your serving tray or platter, start with laying out a tomato slice, then a cheese slice, then a basil leaf. Repeat, making any kind of attractive pattern on your platter.
- Drizzle the caprese with extra virgin olive oil.
- Feel free to add a little balsamic vinegar drizzle, but I prefer to really taste the acid of the tomatoes on their own. Either way is great!