Spiced Eggplant with Bulgur Salad
from Yotam Ottolenghi
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped preserved lemon peel
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 2 medium eggplants (9–10 ounces each), halved lengthwise
- 1 cup quick-cooking bulgur
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup pistachios, toasted and lightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
Ingredient InfoPreserved lemons have been soaked in salt and lemon juice for several weeks. They are available at specialty foods stores, Middle Eastern markets, and kalustyans.com. Bulgur is available at better supermarkets and at natural foods stores.
Preheat oven to 350°. Stir 1/4 cup oil, next 7 ingredients, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a small bowl for spice mix. Score flesh of each eggplant half with 1/2″-deep diagonal crisscrossing lines, spacing 1″ apart (do not cut through skin). Drizzle 1 Tbsp. oil over cut side of each half, allowing it to soak in. Season lightly with salt. Brush or spoon spice mix over, dividing evenly. Place eggplants, cut side up, on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until soft and very tender in center, 50–60 minutes.
Meanwhile, place bulgur in a large bowl and cover with 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Let soak for 45 minutes to soften and absorb water. Stir in olives, onion, currants, parsley, 1/3 cup cilantro, pistachios, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand for at least 30 minutes for flavors to meld. DO AHEAD: Eggplant and bulgur salad can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
Serve eggplant warm or at room temperature. Place an eggplant half on each plate. Spoon some bulgur salad and a dollop of yogurt alongside. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and drizzle with oil.