feel free to vary any and all of the vegetable ingredients-as long as you have fennel and sausage you can’t go wrong!
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1/2 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced, plus fronds, for serving
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh juice, plus lemon wedges, for serving
- 2 1/2 ounces Parmesan, grated (about 3/4 cup), plus more for serving
- Arugula, for serving
Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain.
Meanwhile, heat a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and sausage; cook, breaking into pieces, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat; reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, fennel, and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add broth; bring to a simmer. Add pasta, pasta water, lemon zest and juice, cheese, and sausage. Simmer, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand to thicken, about 10 minutes. Drizzle with oil. Serve with fennel fronds, lemon wedges, cheese, and arugula.