- 4 slices bacon, chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 cups chopped swiss chard, collard greens, or kale, stems removed if using collards or kale (about 1 large bunch, 1 1/2-2 pounds)
- 2 cups water, plus more as needed
- 1 cup grits (not instant)
- 3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup prepared salsa
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place bacon (if using) in a large Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until crispy, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Pour off the bacon fat.
- Return the pot to medium-low heat; add oil, onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant and starting to brown in spots, 2 to 8 minutes (cooking time will be quicker if you started with bacon). Add 1 cup broth and salt; bring to a boil over high heat. Add collards (or kale); stir until wilted down to about one-third the volume and bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Adjust heat during cooking to maintain a simmer, and add water, 1/4 cup at a time, if the pan seems dry.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 cups water and the remaining 1 cup broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Pour in grits in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, whisking often, until thick, about 5 minutes. Combine 1/2 cup cheese, salsa and egg in a small bowl. Remove the grits from the heat and quickly stir in the cheese mixture until combined.
- Working quickly, spread about half the grits in the prepared baking dish. Top with greens, spreading evenly. Spread the remaining grits over the greens. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and the reserved bacon (if using).
- Bake the casserole until hot and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bake at 400°F until bubbling, about 30 minutes.