Green Beans with Tomatoes (Fagioli a Corallo in Umido)
- 1 to 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 green onions, white portion only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb. very ripe fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced, or 1 can (14 oz.) plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with juices
- 1 small dried red chili (optional)
- 1 lb. romano beans or green beans, ends trimmed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh basil or flat-leaf parsley (optional)
In a saucepan large enough to hold the beans, warm the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the green onions and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chili, increase the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes reduce slightly, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the beans and season with salt and a few grinds of pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the beans are very tender, about 30 minutes. Check frequently and add 2 Tbs. hot water if the sauce looks dry. (The dish can be prepared up to this point, cooled, covered and refrigerated, and then reheated gently the next day. It will taste even better the second day.)
Transfer the beans to a warmed serving dish and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately. Serves 6.