2 medium onions or 4-6 shallots
2 T. butter
4 oz. bacon
1 pint chicken or vegetable stock
1 quart water
4 tsp. whole grain mustard
salt and pepper, to taste
heavy cream, to taste
- Peel and roughly chop the onions, then saute them in a large saucepan in the butter until they are soft and clear, about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- While they cook, slice the bacon into thin, 1/8 inch strips. Add to the onions and cook until the bacon is done.
- While the onions and bacon are cooking, peel and coarsely grate or chop the celeriac. (The smaller the pieces, the faster it cooks. If you don’t want to grate the celeriac, just dice it and plan on it cooking for longer).
- Add the celeriac to the onions, add the stock and water, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cover, and simmer until the celeriac is tender. Add in the mustard and salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully puree the soup and add cream if you’d like!